Since 2011, Elizabeth Ghaffari has been recognized by the National Association of Corporate Directors (NACD) as a Governance Fellow, indicating she has demonstrated her commitment to boardroom excellence by completing NACDís comprehensive program of study for corporate directors in addition to supplementing her skill sets through ongoing engagement with the director community and access to leading practices every year since that inaugural date.
Directors Certification Program
Attendance at the California Bankers Association September 2010 Update Session, Directors Certification Program, provided by Bankers' Compliance Group, Inc. in collaboration with CBA.
Pacific Coast Regional Corp.
Member of the Board of Pacific Coast Regional Corporation, a Small Business Development Corporation (SBDC) and a Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) certified by the U.S. Treasury in October 2009. Served as a director beginning in 2009 to date.
The L.A. Leggerssm Inc.
In 1990, this innovative marathon training program almost disappeared for wont of an effective succession plan and long-term growth strategy. Today, the organization has achieved unprecedented membership levels, sustained corporate continuity, and -- twice -- has been recognized as LA's Best Marathon Training Program.
Elizabeth Ghaffari, President of Technology Place Inc., established the non-profit corporation, L.A. Leggerssm as a membership organization in order to ensure the long-term goals and objectives of its original founder, Bob Scott. She
named and served with the initial board of directors; was the first president and chairman of the board of directors; served on the board of directors after implementing a long-term succession plan; designed and implemented the core committee structure for the initial 75 member runner-based organization; and obtained the service mark for the name and logo of the L.A. Leggerssm.
What worked for the L.A. Leggerssm Inc. was:
- creation of a board of directors renewed annually from the runner-based membership
- a leadership succession plan that fostered continuity of responsibility and authority
- establishment of an operational committee structure and
- a focus on the long-term interests of its primary constituency -- its runners and walkers.
The L.A. Leggerssm represent a unique balance of a health-oriented program that motivates and trains 1,500-plus people to run 26.2 miles together with a financial and logistical program that delivers well-managed support services to the membership over a very focused 32 week training period.
The board and committee structures were designed to be flexible enough to adapt to changes and challenges that would arise, inevitably, over time. The continuity of the board and its support organization has survived the tests of time, even as individual leadership, sponsorship, and supporters/organizers have moved on -- as inevitably they must.
During its first year of corporate life, the L.A. Leggerssm grew to over 750 members; since incorporation, the organization has survived increased competition and, after more than a dozen years of successful continuity, reached over 1,500 registered, paying members plus an even larger pool of "graduate" members. The L.A. Leggerssm were recognized as "LA's Best Running Group" by LA Magazine in 1999 and again in December 2003 by Competitor Magazine's Reader's Poll.
In 2003, Ms. Ghaffari organized and conducted, on behalf of the current President of the L.A. Leggerssm, a plenary planning session involving Past Presidents of the corporation to review strategic financial and organizational priorities for the 2003-2004 training program.
The Prudential - Jon Douglas Realty
In the late 1990s, the traditional real estate business model was challenged by Internet innovations such as Web-based listing services and rapid-response financing alternatives. Not only did the firm's real estate brokers find them were behind their customers in almost every area of new technology, but also the board leadership realized they had to quickly get up to speed on a wide array of technology issues if they were to chart new strategic directions for the firm.
The CEO and Board Chairman hired Elizabeth Ghaffari and Technology Place Inc. to provide Information Technology "immersion" for the key board and management leadership. The charter covered the spectrum of Web-based applications and emerging technologies that potentially could help or harm the firm's competitive position.
Board and executive officers developed techniques and perspectives that enabled them to sift through the "technology hype" and move toward selecting viable alternative customer products. Planning sessions also focused on helping the board leadership redefine new corporate structure to better serve their customers in the online marketplace.
Other Governance Experience
Continuing Governance/Director Training
- Member of the Advisory Committee of the Entrepreneurial Training Institute of Pacific Coast Regional Corporation, providing strategic marketing and operational guidance through quarterly meetings, from 1999 through 2009.
- Member of the Board of Directors of Women in Business/Los Angeles from July 2004 through June 2006.
- Member of the Steering Committee, NAWBO-LA Enterprise Institute Forum: "Women: on Board Opportunities". October 2004
- Served as a Business Plan Judge for the Knapp Business Plan Competition semi-final round, UCLA Anderson School of Management, The Harold Price Center for Entrepreneurial Studies - April 22, 2004
- Previously, Member of the Board of Directors of the Women's Economic Development Corporation. Contributions include analysis of micro-lending financing alternatives for women's enterprise banks, including the Bangladesh Grameen Bank model and the South Shore Bank of Chicago.
- Served as a Member of the City of Los Angeles, Cost of Living Council (under Mayor Tom Bradley), 1973-1974.
- Risk, Reform and the Audit Committee Agenda - KPMG Audit Committee Roundtable, Los Angeles (2 CDE) - December 2, 2010
- Board Composition and Evaluations - NACD Webcast (2 CDE) - December 1, 2020
- Board/Shareholder Relationships: The New Importance of Communications - Boardroom Excellence Series Webcast - October 6, 2010
- The Perfect Storm: A Survival Guide for Bank Officers and Directors - NACD SoCal (4 CDE) - September 30, 2010
- California Bankers Association Directors Certification Program - Update Session, provided by Bankers' Compliance Group, Inc. in collaboration with CBA - September 28, 2010.
- DC In the Boardroom: A Board Level Briefing on Proxy Access - NACD Webcase (2 CDE) - September 1, 2010
- The Dodd-Frank Act: Practical Implications for the Board (Part II) - NACD Webcast (2 CDE) - August 6, 2010
- The Dodd-Frank Act: Understanding New Provisions that Relate to the Board (Part I) - NACD Webcast (2 CDE) - July 30, 2010
- IFRS for Private Companies and Possible US Models - KPMG & Global Enterprise Institute Webcast (1.5 CPE) - July 22, 2010
- ISAB/FASB Work Plan and State of Convergence - KPMG IFRS Institute Webcast (1 CPE) - June 30, 2010
- Blind Spots, Biases and Other Paqthologies in the Boardroom - NACD SoCal (1 CDE) - June 29, 2010
- Quarterly Update - KPMG/NACD Audit Committee Webcast (1 CPE) - June 29, 2010
- Corporate Crisis: The Board's Role - NACD Webcast (2 CDE) - June 2, 2010
- Tone at the Top - NACD Webcast (2 CDE) - June 2, 2010
- First Time Adoption of IFRS - KPMG IFRS Institute Webcast (1 CPE) - April 20, 2010
- Internal Investigation After Broadcom - NACD SoCal (2 CDE) - May 25, 2010
- Corporate Governance in Washington - NACD SoCal (2 CDE) - March 11, 2010
- Building the Right Board - NACD Webcast (2 CDE) - February 3, 2010
- The Current Environment: Proxy Access - NACD Webcast (2 CDE) - January 6, 2010
- Rethinking Liquidity: Managing Cash and Working Capital - KPMG 404 Institute Webcast (1 CPE) - February 5, 2009
- Impact of IFRS on Technology Companies: What to Expect and How to Prepare for the R&D and Intangible Assets Transition from US GAAP to IFRS - KPMG and Financial Executives International Webcast (1 CPE) - February 4, 2009
- XBRL: 3M's Corporate Perspective and Update on SEC Comments - KPMG 404 Institute Webcast (1 CPE) - September 24., 2010
- National Corporate Governance and Equity Offerings Conference: The Galef Symposium - February 26 & 27, 2004
- Springboard Enterprises Growth Capital Workshop - December 9, 2003
- Inaugural Corporate Governance Program at Stanford University Graduate School of Business, Executive Education Program, May 2003.
- Master of Science, Management, with a specialty in Urban Land Economics, 1973 cum laude -- University of California, Los Angeles, Graduate School of Management.